Billy joined KP Public Affairs as a political consultant in July 2019. He is an established and well-respected figure in government advocacy and brings more than 30 years of local, state, and federal government experience to the firm. He has a strong and extensive background in advocacy, crisis management, government relations, and corporate consulting.
Prior to KP, Billy was the founder and president of the Rutland Group, a governmental relations consulting firm serving Fortune 500 companies, national and international clients, and small companies and associations. He provided a wide array of services, including but not limited to legislative and regulatory development, issue and crisis management, political fundraising consultations, and public and business policy analysis. His previous clients include People Soft/Oracle, Grocery Manufacturers, Enterprise Rent-a-Car, Honeywell, American Express, Palace of Fine Arts, IBM, among others.
- Previously served ten years as a chief consultant for Speaker Willie L. Brown Jr and assisted in his transition to Mayor of San Francisco
- Served as a staff member to eight different Assembly members and Senators including both Republicans and Democrats
- Served as a consultant for the Senate Committee on Elections and Reapportionment Committee, where he was responsible for helping to establish new boundaries for Senate, Assembly, and Congressional districts
- Served as a consultant to the Senate Committee on Penal Institutions, where he worked to establish reforms for the prison system
- Appointed as deputy director of the state’s civil rights agency, the Department of Fair Employment and Housing, where he oversaw and implemented the rules of law regarding housing and employment
- Represented Unocal before the California Coastal Commission on the cleanup of an 8.5-million-gallon pipeline spill in Avila Beach and Guadalupe Dunes
- Represented Arnold Palmer with their initiative to transform the public golf course of Harding Park into a PGA qualified course to host the President’s Cup
- Worked on the election of the past three Mayors of Atlanta and current Mayor
- Member, Board of Directors of California Association of Counties Finance Corporation
- Tennessee State University, University of Michigan and McGeorge School of Law
621 Capitol Mall, Suite 1900
Sacramento, CA 95814